Opportunity Neighborhood (ON) MOunt VErnon
Opportunity Neighborhood (ON) is a neighborhood where government, schools, community organizations, faith partners and residents agree to create limitless possibility, reduce barriers and prioritize the well-being of its children. Fairfax County's first Opportunity Neighborhood covers the Greater Mount Vernon area and includes schools, partners, families and children within the boundaries of Mount Vernon Woods Elementary School, Riverside Elementary School, Woodlawn Elementary School, Walt Whitman Middle School, and Mount Vernon High School.
Areas of Focus
Family and community engagement
Connected and motivated youth
School readiness, early childhood education, and literacy
Service access and navigation
Workforce readiness and student career preparedness
ON Mount Vernon Events
My Culture Day - Sat., May 27, 2017 - Download event flyer (pdf) >>
Opportunity Neighborhood Mission
The Mission of ON is to unite residents, community organizations and systems officials in securing school and career success for every Opportunity Neighborhood child.To achieve the goals of ON, these foundational elements were identified as key levers of change:
- Academic Foundation: ON children and youth are provided with effective learning opportunities to address individual challenges and maximize gifts and strengths so that they are on course to graduate, pursue post-secondary education, and enter the workforce.
- Family Resilience: ON children and youth are able to focus on their future, free of concerns related to family crisis, caregiver stress, housing instability, or community service.
- Cultivating a Culture of Engagement, Connectedness, and Success: ON children and youth feel connected to a family, school, and community support network that believes and invests in their success.
ON Partners and Supporters
Three primary entities support the ON governance team and collaborate to advance the goals of ON:
- Britepaths (Formerly Our Daily Bread)
- Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services
- The Capital Youth Empowerment Project
- Sequoyah Friends
- Harmony Friends
- Audubon Friends
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Project LIFT
- Region 1 Change Team
- Together We're the Answer
- West African Collaborative